Dr. Jolene Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Medical Doctor and the founder of Rubus Health, a women’s medicine clinic that specializes in women’s hormones. She is recognized as a leading expert in Post-Birth Control Syndrome and the long-term side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives. Dr. Brighten is the author of Beyond the Pill, a 30 day plan to support women on birth control, help them transition off, and eliminate symptoms of post-birth control syndrome. She is a speaker, women’s health advocate and a medical advisor for one of the first data-driven apps to offer women personalized birth control recommendations.
In today’s episode we talk about the problem with using the pill as the “cure-all” for all things menstrual (since the pill does not cure or fix anything), and the complexities of questioning the pill as a feminist.
Today’s episode is also sponsored by The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility. The Fifth Vital Sign is available for purchase on Amazon, and you can head over to thefifthvitalsignbook.com to download the first chapter for free.
- How Dr. Brighten’s health issues as a child lead her to her career path in naturopathic medicine
- The reasons why the pill is not actually a treatment to women’s health issues
- How the goal of Dr. Brighten’s book, Beyond the Pill, was not to be anti-feminist, but to provide all the information on the effects of hormonal birth control so women can make an educated decision on whether the pill is right for them or not
- The younger you are put on the pill and they longer you stay on it, the higher probability you can develop endometriosis
- How hormonal birth control simply masks symptoms of PCOS and can actually raise your risk of it
- Why the menstrual cycle is an important indication of health
- The importance of trusting yourself and what you believe is going on in your body when talking with medical professionals
Connect with Dr. Brighten:
- Beyond the Pill
- Dr. Jolene Brighten | Website
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Get The First chapter of The Fifth Vital Sign for FREE | thefifthvitalsignbook.com
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 218 | The Pill Gave Her A Stroke | Pill Reality Series | Julia & Lisa
- [On-Air Client Session] FFP 206 | Long-term Birth Control Use, Dysmenorrhea & Fertility Awareness | Lisa & Heather
- FFP 203 | The Pill Problem | Ross Pelton
- FFP 205 | Is Your IUD Messing With Your Mind? | Pill Reality Series Lisa & Allie
- FFP 161 | Are IUDs Safer Than The Pill? | Hormonal IUDs vs Copper IUDs | Dr. Steve Gangemi
- FFP 140 | Transitioning From Hormonal Birth Control After Long Term Pill Use | Lisa | Fertility Friday
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by my new book The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility. Click here to buy now.