It’s here! The first episode of the Fertility Friday podcast has officially been released! You can listen to it here:
I decided to record the introduction in two parts, below are the show notes for part one and you can find the show notes for part two here.
Since this is the first episode I spend some time talking about my background in the area of fertility awareness and talking about the basics of how and why the Fertility Awareness Method works. In future episodes I will be interviewing special guests who specialize in health and wellness often with a specialization in women’s health, fertility and fertility awareness cycle charting.
Why start a podcast?
I have been actively using the fertility awareness method for over a decade now, and I have spent many years teaching women how to chart their cycles and interpret their fertile signs. The Fertility Awareness Method is an extremely effective method of birth control that is based on understanding that women are only fertile for a short window each cycle. Using the Fertility Awareness Method for birth control involves learning to identify your fertile window and then either using a barrier method (like a condom), abstaining from sexual contact, or engaging in sex that doesn’t involve genital contact during that time.
After being taught from a yong age that women are fertile all the time and that there are no “safe times” to have unprotected sex without having to worry about getting pregnant, I was suprised to learn that women are only fertile for a relatively short window each cycle that can be pinpointed by observing the 3 fertile signs (cervical mucus, shift in cervical position and basal body temperature). I discovered the fertility awareness method right around the time when I decided to stop taking the pill. I learned how to identify the days that I was fertile and the days that I wasn’t, and I was able to use this knowledge to prevent pregnancy naturally and effectively without hormones.
From what I see, the myth that women are continuously fertile feeds right into the hormonal birth control industry. Hormonal birth control methods like the pill, the patch, the shot (depo), the nuva ring, and the implant (norplant) provide protection from pregnancy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Which is an important option to have, but I have to wonder if as many women would choose it if they knew that they are only fertile for about a week or so each cycle.
This is why I’m so passionate about this topic, and and so excited to share these conversations through podcasting! Regardless of what you do with the knowledge of how your body works, every woman should at least have the opportunity to learn how her fertility actually works. Our bodies are amazing!
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- Introduction and background – who am I and why did I start a podcast about fertility awareness?
- What are the 3 fertile signs? (5:38)
- What is Fertility Awareness? (6:34)
- How does the Fertility Awareness Method work to prevent pregnancy? (7:15)
- How your body actively kills sperm unless you’re in your fertile window (9:55)
- Why the Fertility Awareness Method is such an awesome option for birth control (21:15)
- How the Fertility Awareness Method can improve your sex life (29:25)
- How the Fertility Awareness Method helps you optimize your chances of getting pregnant (31:30)
Resources discussed in today’s episode
- Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler
- Justisse User Guide by Geraldine Matus
- Effectiveness of the Fertility Awareness Method | Study showing 99.6% effectiveness
- Basal body thermometer
- Fertility Friday Facebook Page
- Fertility Friday on Twitter
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)