I’m so excited to welcome Sally Fallon-Morell to the Fertility Friday Podcast today! Sally is the founding President of the Weston Price Foundation. She is a strong advocate of nutrition and is the leading spokesperson for a return to nutrient-dense diets including raw milk, animal fats, organ meats, bone broths and lacto-fermented foods. Sally is the author of the best-selling cookbook Nourishing Traditions and The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care among others.
One of the important takeaways from this interview and all of Sally’s work is that animal fats and cholesterol are vital factors in the diet, necessary for normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease, and optimum energy levels. Sally has been working tirelessly for many years to raise awareness about the importance of nutrition in overall health, fertility, and how important a role that nutrition plays in having healthy babies and a healthy pregnancy. Listen in to learn about what traditional cultures do to ensure that their babies are healthy, and what foods will improve your fertility and help you to have a healthy, happy, thriving baby!
Topics discussed in this episode
- Who is Dr. Weston Price, and how did he discover the importance of diet in overall health and fertility?
- How dental health is related to your overall health, and how it can be an important indicator of nutrient deficiencies
- Why all traditional cultures intentionally fed certain sacred fertility foods to men and women of childbearing age
- Why saturated fat is essential for fertility
- Why women who eat low-fat diets have been shown to have a harder time getting pregnant
- The silent epidemic of infertility that people aren’t really talking about, and the role that diet plays in this process
- Why a preconception diet is important to focus on for several months to a year or more before getting pregnant
- Why both Men and Women should be eating traditional fertility foods in preparation for pregnancy, not just women
- Why it’s important to shift the focus from getting pregnant to improving the health and nutrition of both partners before pregnancy so that the focus is on having healthy babies instead of just getting pregnant
- Why Sally recommends that mothers to stop taking hormonal contraceptives and eat a traditional fertility diet for at least 6 months to a year before even trying to conceive
- The impact of vegan and vegetarian diets on fertility, and why Sally recommends that women of child-bearing age steer clear of vegetarian/vegan diets at least until they are finished having children
- Why is raw milk safer than pasteurized milk?
- What foods are best to first introduce to your baby? It’s probably not what you think!
- The role that diet plays in not only the physical health of your baby but gut health and emotional health as well
- How the diet of the Mother impacts the quality of her breastmilk
- Why it’s never too late to start eating a healthy traditional diet
Connect with Sally!
- The Weston A Price Foundation
- New Trends Publishing | Sally Fallon Morell
- The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care by Sally Fallon Morell
- Nourishing Traditions Baby
- Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats by Sally Fallon Morell
- Weston A Price Foundation | Preconception Diet | Vitamins for Fetal Development: Conception to birth
- Weston A Price Foundation | Diet for Pregnant and Nursing Mothers
- The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care | Sally Fallon-Morell & Dr. Thomas Cowan
- Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
- Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook by Katie Singer
- Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World by Sally Fallon
- Weston A Price Foundation | Healthy Baby Photo Gallery
- Weston A Price Foundation | Fertility Awareness | Child Spacing
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)