Keli Garza has a Masters degree in International Development graduating cum laude. Garza is the owner of Steamy Chick the largest distributor of vaginal steam supplies in the United States. To further vaginal steam education Garza founded a branch of her company called the Peristeam Hydrotherapy Institute to train practitioners in the use of vaginal steam for menstrual and reproductive health and to further research on the gynecological benefits reported by hundreds of customer case studies.
Kimberly Ann Johnson is a Sexological Bodyworker, Somatic Experiencing trauma resolution practitioner, birth doula, and single mom. She specializes in helping women prepare for birth, recover from birth injuries and birth trauma, and heal from sexual trauma. She is the founder of Magamama.com, an international holistic women’s health care resource for expectant and new mothers. She is the co-founder of the STREAM School for Pelvic Care, where she trained birth professionals, yoga teachers, somatic therapists, and bodyworkers to help women prepare for birth and recover from birth. She is the author of the bestselling book The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions and Restoring Your Vitality.
In today’s episode we’re talking about the Fourth Trimester Vaginal Steam Study conducted and published through a joint effort between Keli Garza and Kimberly Ann Johnson. We talk about the benefits of vaginal steaming postpartum, and the implications of implementing vaginal steaming as a standard healthcare protocol for new mothers.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery LIVE 8 week group coaching program! Click here to register now!
- Vaginal Steaming is a controversial subject
- Why it was necessary for Keli and Kimberly to take the reins and conduct The Vaginal Steam Study
- Challenges of having vaginal steaming looked at as a legitimate way to heal women post-partum
- The goal of the study was to craft questions for post-partum recovery
- Perimeters of post-partum heeling and how steaming impacts it
- The study compared women who vaginal steamed and women who did not steam days after giving birth and compared multiple health related measurements such as blood pressure, pulse, funda size, waist size, weight, labia damage, lochia, hemorrhoids, uterine contractions and breast pain
- Fourth Trimester Vaginal Steam Study could only use vaginal birth and not cesarean birth
- Limitations that impacted Keli and Kimberly’s Steam Study
- Unexpected and expected results of vaginal steaming
Connect with Keli Garza and Kimberly Ann Johnson:
- Fourth Trimester Vaginal Steam Study
- The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions and Restoring Your Vitality
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 268 | Postpartum Planning | What Really Happens After Birth | Adriana Lozada
- FFP 243 | The Fourth Trimester | Postpartum Care with Maga Mama | Kimberly Ann Johnson
- FFP 202 | Vaginal Steaming for Period Problems | Steamy Chick | Keli Garza
- FFP 195 | Ayurvedic Medicine | Managing The Postpartum Period | Stacy Claxton
- FFP 087 | Managing the Postpartum Period | Creating a Support System for New Moms | How to Transition Back to Work After Baby | Arianna Taboada
- FFP 043 | The Role of Birth and Postpartum Doulas in the Birthing Process | Placenta Encapsulation | Fertility Awareness | Sarah Moloney
- FFP 018 | Arvigo Abdominal Therapy | Vaginal Steaming | Traditional Maya healing for Fertility and Menstrual Cycle Irregularities| Dr Rosita Arvigo
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors: