Dr. Cowan is a medical doctor who graduated from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in 1984. He is a founding board member of the Weston A. Price Foundation™. He is the principal author of the book The Fourfold Path to Healing, he is the co-author of the book The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care. And he writes the “Ask the Doctor” column in Wise Traditions in Food, Farming and the Healing Arts, the foundation’s quarterly magazine, and has lectured throughout the United States and Canada, and currently sees patients at his office in San Fransisco.
And in today’s show, we talk about nutrition for preconception, pregnancy and postpartum, as well as nutrition and care for babies and children. We also talk about the philosophy of illness and healing, and why modern medicine often gets it wrong.
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- Why does modern medicine fail to address the root cause of illness?
- In what ways do traditional cultures look at pregnancy differently than we do now?
- Are there any traditional cultures who ate a vegan diet?
- What can we learn about fertility and pregnancy from traditional cultures?
- Nutrition for pregnancy – how to eat to create a healthy, tiny human
- The connection between autoimmune disease and infertility
- The role of fermented foods in gut health, fertility, and pregnancy
- The link between a mother’s gut flora and her baby’s gut flora and immune system
- Why are certain illnesses considered to be “incurable” and how does the doctor’s philosophy of illness contribute to this belief?
- What type of diet is most beneficial for babies and children?
- How does a mother’s diet impact her breast milk? Will the baby always “get what he/she needs” regardless of their mother’s diet?
- Making baby formula at home? How does homemade formula differ from store bought formula?
- How to find a doctor who will work with you to determine the root cause of illness?
Connect with Dr. Cowan
- Four-Fold Healing | Dr. Thomas Cowan
- The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care | Sally Fallon-Morell & Dr. Thomas Cowan
- The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine (book) | Dr. Thomas Cowan
- Weston A Price Foundation | Dr. Thomas Cowan
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)