Kim and her sister Amy are the Red Tent Sisters! The Sisters have created a family business that not only helps women learn holistically (nonhormonal) birth control using the Fertility Awareness Method, but have also been raising awareness about healthy sexuality, and providing women with healthy, environmentally-friendly sex products through their website ecosex.ca. I had Amy on the show a few months ago and we talked all about the Fertility Awareness Method and the effects of long-term birth control use. If you haven’t had a chance you can tune into my interview with Amy here.
Kim specializes in the area of healthy sexuality and she has been educating women and men for years on all things sex from gaining confidence in the bedroom to sex toys and everything in between! In today’s show, we talk about sexuality, orgasms, female pleasure, and we get into some of the reasons that prevent women from having a truly satisfying sex life.
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- How we are all impacted by the stereotypical portrayal of sexual activity in the media and in mainstream pornography
- Why the missionary position alone doesn’t cut it for 70% of women
- Why the concept of “normal” sexual activity can be limiting and less pleasurable particularly for heterosexual couples
- Why focusing on sexual intercourse exclusively as the “main event” can be problematic especially when it comes to female pleasure
- How having a period of “abstinence” from unprotected sexual intercourse during a woman’s fertile window can actually improve a couple’s sexual relationship by encouraging increased communication, and allowing the couple to experiment with a variety of sexual activities instead of focusing primarily on intercourse
- Why women are often hesitant to ask for what we want sexually
- How to discover what you want sexually if you have never had an orgasm or if you are not fully satisfied sexually
- The problem with “faking it”
- Why orgasms and female sexual pleasure are important
- What to do when partners are mismatched sexually either in their sexual preferences or in their libido and desired frequency of sexual activity
- What couples who are struggling with fertility challenges can do to improve their sexual experiences so sex doesn’t feel like a chore
- Should couples have sex in a certain position when they are trying to conceive?
- Why should we care about the materials that are used in sex toys?
- What lubricants are sperm friendly for couples who are trying to conceive?
- What ingredients should you avoid in spermicides
- Why asking for what you want sexually is such an important step towards actually getting it
Connect with Kim
- Red Tent Sisters | Kim Sedgwick
- Ecosex.ca | Red Tent Sisters
- Red Tent Sisters Podcast on iTunes
- Red Tent Sisters YouTube channel
- Confidence-Building Secrets for Pleasuring Him (Home Study Program) | Kim Sedgwick
- Confidence-Building Secrets for Pleasuring Her (Home Study Program) | Kim Sedgwick
- Petals: Fine Art Photography of Vulvas | Nick Karras
- The Vagina Monologues | Eve Ensler
- Talk Sex with Sue | Sue Johanson
- Caya Gel | Eco-friendly Contraceptive Gel | Ecosex.ca
- Yes Baby | Sperm Friendly Lubricant | Ecosex.ca
- FFP 008 | Trying to conceive after long-term birth control use | Fertility Awareness | Amy Sedgwick
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)