Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, a Certified Diabetes Educator, a Certified LEAP Therapist, and a Certified Pilates Instructor. She specializes in helping people with digestive issues heal from food sensitivities, and supporting pregnant women to have the healthiest pregnancy possible especially when they have conditions like gestational diabetes. Lily isn’t your typical nutritionist! Her approach isn’t about following a strict meal plan or counting calories, but rather she is focused on supporting women to embrace real food and learn to trust their bodies because in her own words “you can never maintain the body you want eating food you hate”. Lily is the author of the book Real Food For Gestational Diabetes, and it offers a refreshing take on managing gestational diabetes with a real food diet instead of relying on medication.
In today’s show we talk about gestational diabetes and how it can impact the baby not only during pregnancy but the far reaching impact that it can have on the child as he or she grows up. We talk about the importance of pre-conception nutrition in preparation for pregnancy, and important nutrients to incorporate during pregnancy. We also talk about why it is important for all women to be mindful of our sugar consumption, and what we can eat to stabilize our blood sugar levels throughout the day.
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- What is gestational diabetes?
- The impact that gestational diabetes has on the baby not only during pregnancy but throughout the child’s life
- The connection between untreated gestational diabetes and obesity in children
- The link between gestational diabetes and increased birth weight
- The simple blood test you can ask your doctor to run in your first trimester to screen for it
- Early signs and symptoms of gestational diabetes
- Why identifying gestational diabetes early is important to reduce complications during pregnancy
- What are the risk factors for developing gestational diabetes during your pregnancy?
- Is there a link between gestational diabetes and infertility?
- Why it is important for all women to work towards stabilizing their blood sugar both during pregnancy and on a day to day basis
- The role that insulin resistance plays in gestational diabetes
- How to manage gestational diabetes through a real food diet without medication
- What are Lily’s dietary and nutritional recommendations for women both before and during pregnancy?
- How to manage food cravings and hunger through a real food diet
- The important role that healthy fats play in stabilizing blood sugar levels throughout the day
Connect with Lily!
- The Pilates Nutritionist | Lily Nichols
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes: An Effective Alternative to the Conventional Nutrition Approach
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes | Lily Nichols
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)