Dr. Rako has been a psychiatrist in private practice in the Boston area for more than thirty-five years. She both trained and taught at Harvard Medical School’s Massachusetts Mental Health Center, a teaching hospital in the Department of Psychiatry. She has become a pioneering expert on women’s reproductive health. She is the author of several books including “The Blessings of the Curse: No More Periods?” and “The Hormone of Desire: The Truth About Testosterone, Sexuality and Menopause”.
In today’s episode we talk about menstrual suppression, and the idea that periods are optional, and suppressing them medically has no broader impact on our bodies outside.
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- Are periods medically necessary?
- The relationship between the pill, estrogen, testosterone, and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG)
- The relationship between regular menstruation and Iron
- The impact of the menstrual cycle on cardiovascular health
- How was Depo Provera Discovered?
- The disturbing link between hormonal contraceptives, HPV, & Cervical Cancer
- The link between Depo Provera and Osteoperosis
- Long term hormonal contraceptive use, the largest experiment ever conducted on women
Connect with Dr. Rako
You can connect with Dr. Rako on her website
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic