Is it anti-feminist to talk about the side effects of hormonal birth control? Holly-Grigg Spall, author of Sweetening The Pill, and driving force behind The Business of Birth Control joins us to share how the film came about. We also get into the politics and feminist viewpoints of criticizing the pill.
Holly Grigg-Spall is the author of “SWEETENING THE PILL” – the inspiration for the documentary “THE BUSINESS OF BIRTH CONTROL” (on which she is a producer). The book was released in 2013, hitting its ten-year anniversary later this year. Holly recently launched Teena, a free education-forward app supporting body literacy for tweens and teens.
Today’s episode is also sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Course. The most in-depth and comprehensive online fertility awareness self-study program available. Click here to join now!
Today’s episode is also sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook. The first fully customizable paper charting workbook of its kind, available in both Fahrenheit and Celsius editions. Click here to grab your copy today!
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- How Holly connected with Ricky Lake to make her film come to life
- What inspired Holly to produce the documentary “THE BUSINESS OF BIRTH CONTROL”
- What was the passion behind Holly’s documentary and her book
- What made Holly do more research on the pill
- What challenges did Holly face when trying to publish her book
- Why is it not taboo now to talk about how the pill causes side effects
- What is Lisa’s least favorite birth control pill
- What type of reviews did Holly receive from her book
Connect with Holly:
- Sweetening The Pill
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 255 | Is Questioning The Pill Anti Feminist? | Beyond The Pill | Dr. Jolene Brighten, ND
- FFP 063 | Lady Comp & Daysy – Using Tech with Fertility Awareness | Holly Grigg-Spall
- FFP 021 | What Hormonal Contraceptives Really do to Women | Sweetening the Pill | Holly Grigg-Spall
- FFP 007 | What the pill really does to your hormones | PCOS & Menstrual Irregularities | Dr Lara Briden
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors:
This episode is sponsored by FAMM! Are you a women’s health practitioner looking for a solid way to incorporate comprehensive fertility awareness chart analysis into your practice? If yes, FAMM is the program you’ve been waiting for. Click here to apply now!