Angie Firmalino holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Metal smithing from Syracuse University, an Associate’s in Psychology from Syracuse University, and an Associate’s in Jewelry Design from the FIT. She also studied abroad in Florence, Italy. She then worked as a bench jeweler in New York City, a goldsmith for Steven Kretchmer, and then became a freelance wax model maker after her first child was born in 1998. Due to continuing health problems, she no longer is able to work as a jeweler. Mrs. Firmalino founded an advocacy group against Essure in 2011, called Essure Problems. She continues to run that group and founded ASHES nonprofit in 2015. She is also involved with Medical Device Problems, a website launched in July of 2018. She and her family live in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
Amanda Rusmisell is a wife and mother of two boys in Charlotte, North Carolina. She holds her Bachelors of Science from Appalachian State University and her Masters of Counseling from the University of North Carolina Charlotte. Currently, she works in the nonprofit sector. Amanda has always been an active volunteer and advocate in her community. After being harmed from a medical device and having major surgery, she joined the Essure Problems Facebook Group. She was shocked to see the harm caused to so many women and was compelled to help. Amanda is the Legislative Liaison for the Essure Problems Group. She has spoken before the FDA, organized and participated in numerous advocacy meetings in Washington DC and collaborated with other nonprofits to bring awareness to the issues surrounding Essure and medical devices.
In today’s episode, we talk about the issues with Essure, a highly problematic form of permanent birth control that has affected tens of thousands of women worldwide, the recent Netflix documentary The Bleeding Edge, and the issue with the medical device industry.
Today’s episode is also sponsored by my Fertility Awareness Programs. My Fertility Awareness Programs are designed to help you to master Fertility Awareness and take a deep dive into your cycles. Gain confidence charting your cycles, and gain deep insights into the connection between your health, your fertility, and your cycles. Click here for more information!
- What is Essure and why was an entire Netflix documentary created to address the issues with it?
- The tendency of many medical professionals to minimize the experiences of women (i.e. medical “gas-lighting”)
- Pain with insertion and immediate side effects associated with Essure in some women
- The curious history of Essure as it was first created as a fertility device
- The role of the Essure Problems group in helping to get the Essure device discontinued in the United States (as of the end of 2018)
- The issues with the medical device approval process in the United States
- The various presentations of Essure side effects, and why many women don’t experience side effects right away
- How Essure passed clinical trials even though many of the women in the initial clinical trials experienced serious side effects
- What side effects are associated with the Essure device
- Issues with insertion and removal and why the Essure Problems group have developed a special removal protocol to follow to minimize removal issues
- Broader implications of this situation as it relates to the status of women
- The importance of body literacy for all women
- The collective power of women when we join together
- Your right to advocate for the care you need
Connect with Angie and Amanda:
- The Bleeding Edge | Netflix Documentary
- Essure Problems Website
- Essure Problems Facebook Group
- Ashes Non-profit Organization
- Medical Device Safety Act | Ashes Non-profit
- Fertility Awareness 101 FREE Video Series
- Fertility Friday Facebook Group
Related podcasts & blog posts:
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by my Fertility Awareness Programs! Master Fertility Awareness and take a deep dive into your cycles and how they relate to your overall health! Click here for more information!