Janie A. Bowthorpe, M.Ed, has spent years as one of the most well-known and heartfelt Thyroid Patient Advocates, fighting for better thyroid care. And what has made her different from others who claim the same title? It’s her unique focus, which has always been about reported patient experiences and the wisdom gained from those experiences … rather than strong opinions or courting the medical establishment.
Like millions worldwide, Janie was a 20-year victim of poor treatment with T4-only meds and the use of the TSH lab test, only to have a miraculous turnaround in the use of Natural Desiccated Thyroid. Those experiences propelled her to represent patients worldwide, totally based on their experiences and wisdom. She is the author of the book, Stop the Thyroid Madness.
In today’s show, we talk about why women who show signs of hypothyroidism often have the hardest time getting support from their doctors; whether it’s lab work or getting prescriptions for thyroid medication (other than Synthroid®). We get to the bottom of the common issue of why a woman can feel terrible even if she has “normal” lab results, and what she can do if her doctor isn’t supporting her mission to get to the underlying cause.
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- What events led to Janie writing her book, Stop the Thyroid Madness?
- Janie talks about the common symptoms of continued Hypothyroidism
- Why the typical tests doctors run Hypothyroidism are not good enough
- Why the common treatments for Hypothyroidism don’t usually work
- How free T3 and T4 levels are better indicators of your thyroid health
- Janie’s advice about how to handle resistance from physicians with regards to testing
- Why the commonly prescribed medication, Synthroid®, doesn’t always help
- What desiccated thyroid is and how it compares to Synthroid®
- What can cause symptoms to get worse after taking desiccated thyroid?
- What are some underlying causes of Hypothyroidism and can it be cured?
- Janie’s advice for people who’ve had trouble finding a doctor who’ll truly work with them
- The one thing Janie wants listeners to know
- The one myth about Hypothyroidism Janie wants to address
Connect with Janie
- Stop the Thyroid Madness Website
- Stop the Thyroid Madness eBooks
- Stop the Thyroid Madness: Lab Values
- Stop the Thyroid Madness: Recommended Lab Work
- Stop the Thyroid Madness: Natural Thyroid 101
- Stop the Thyroid Madness Facebook Page
- FFP 104 | Birth Control Pills From Your Doctor’s Perspective | Why Your Physician isn’t Looking at the Root Cause | Alternative Medicine for Women | Dr. Miranda Naylor
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic