Alexandra has been a chef, an author and a functional nutrition coach for over a decade. She has written 4 books, most recently the #1 bestselling book Women, Food and Desire. She was featured in the movie Supersize Me. And after being vegan for over 10 years, Alex came out as not being vegan anymore, and has since created a community around the idea of following your cravings to discover what they have to teach you. She also has an awesome podcast “The Cravecast” where she delves into the importance of following your cravings and so much more!
In today’s show we talk about Alex’s transition from a vegan diet. Alex talks about the impact her diet had on her menstrual cycle and her libido, and what happened when she started incorporating meat again. We also talk about how we can all learn to listen to and honour our cravings, and why it is important to pay attention to what our body is telling us!
Topics discussed in today’s episode
Alex’s transition from sugar addict to a whole foods vegan diet
Origins of the film Supersize me and how it all came about
What prompted Alex to start questioning her diet after 11 solid years of being a vegan
Why the concept of a “perfect diet” is problematic in general
- Confessions of an ex-vegan – Alex shares her experience eating meat in secret before she “came out” publicly
- The disconnect that happens between the moral stance of veganism and what a person’s body may need physically to be healthy
- The importance of having compassion for yourself
- Alex shares the changes she noticed in her menstrual cycle after over a decade of being vegan, and how it changed when she reintroduced meat
- How can a vegan diet impact your libido?
- Are meat eaters destroying the planet?
- How to tune into our cravings
- The 4 root causes of cravings, and how to figure out what your body really needs
Connect with Alexandra
- Alexandra Jamieson | On Women Food and Desire
- Discover what your cravings mean! | Get Alex’s free guide | Alex Jamieson
- Women Food and Desire: Embrace Your Cravings, Make Peace with Food, Reclaim Your Body (book) | Alexandra Jamieson
- The Cravecast (Podcast) | Alexandra Jamieson
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)