Lily is a researcher, speaker, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and a unique specialty in gestational diabetes. As a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, and Certified Pilates Instructor, she is the first to advocate for a nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes. Her book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes, (and an online course of the same name), has helped thousands of women have healthy babies – and most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication. What’s now been dubbed her “Real Food Approach” is currently being used in several research studies.
I’m excited to have Lily back on the show to talk about PCOS, and how to manage PCOS through diet and lifestyle changes!
Topics discussed in today’s episode
- What is the connection between PCOS and diabetes?
- What are some of the classic signs & symptoms of PCOS?
- How big of an impact can dietary changes make on your PCOS symptoms?
- Does a poor diet cause PCOS?
- How does PCOS impact the menstrual cycle?
- What is the link between PCOS, insulin sensitivity & diabetes?
- How is obesity related to PCOS?
- What foods cause insulin to spike?
- Is it possible to eat too much fruit?
- How does our consumption of carbohydrates impact our blood sugar?
- How does consuming soy products impact our hormone levels?
- Why is breakfast actually the most important place to start when balancing hormones?
- What can I eat for breakfast that is filling, nutritious, fast, won’t spike my blood sugar, and will leave me feeling satisfied afterward?
Connect with Lily
- Pilates Nutritionist | Lily Nichols
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes: An Effective Alternative to the Conventional Nutrition Approach (book) | Lily Nichols
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes | Lily Nichols
- Real Food For Gestational Diabetes (Book Review) | Fertility Friday
- FFP 016 | Real Food for Gestational Diabetes | Pre-conception & Pregnancy Nutrition | Lily Nichols
- FFP 025 | How Much Should Women Exercise During Pregnancy? | The Good, The Bad and the Uncomfortable | Lily Nichols
- FFP 009 | Sacred Fertility Foods | The key to having healthy babies and a healthy pregnancy | Sally Fallon-Morell
PCOS Related Podcast Episodes
- FFP 022 | What is PCOS? | Healing PCOS Naturally | PCOS Diva Amy Medling
- FFP 029 | Learning to use Fertility Awareness after Coming Off of the Pill | Managing PCOS Naturally | Jennifer Neff
- FFP 052 | Surviving Fertility Challenges | Infertility, PCOS & IVF | Kym Campbell
- FFP 060 | Treating PCOS Without Fertility Drugs | Conceiving Naturally With PCOS | Dr. Katherine Sherif
- FFP 072 | The Connection Between Eating Disorders, PCOS, & Fertility | Angela Grassi
Join the community! Find us on the Fertility Friday Facebook Fan Page
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
This episode is sponsored by Circle + Bloom! Click here to receive 20% off Circle + Bloom products! Make sure to use discount code: FertilityFriday at checkout!