Excited to have Lily back on the show for her record 6th appearance. Lily is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, outlines the problems with current prenatal nutrition guidelines and provides the evidence—920 citations and counting—that supports a real food diet to optimize maternal and fetal health. You’ll want to take a listen to our previous episodes together, and you’ll find a complete list below!
In today’s show, we talk about how to optimize pregnancy nutrition to give your baby the best possible start in life.
- The difference between adequate and optimal prenatal nutrition
- Why food is fundamental to pregnancy
- Why choline is just as essential as folate for fetal development
- How do your dietary requirements change during pregnancy?
- Why preconception nutrition is just as important as your nutrition during pregnancy
- How much do your micro-nutrient needs increase compared to your caloric needs during pregnancy?
- What is the difference between micro and macro-nutrients and how can you ensure you’re getting enough?
- How much more protein do you require during pregnancy?
- What foods should you incorporate during pregnancy to ensure you’re getting optimal nutrition?
- Is it possible to meet your nutritional requirements during pregnancy without incorporating animal foods?
- Is a vegan and/or vegetarian diet optimal for pregnancy and lactation?
- What can you do to optimize a vegetarian diet for pregnancy?
- The implications of a plant based diet for pregnancy and lactation
Connect with Lily:
- Real Food for Pregnancy (book) by Lily Nichols
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes (book) by Lily Nichols
- Weston A. Price Foundation
- 10 Week Fertility Awareness Mastery Group Program
- Fertility Awareness 101 FREE Video Series
- Fertility Friday Facebook Group
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 016 | Real Food for Gestational Diabetes | Pre-conception & Pregnancy Nutrition | Lily Nichols
- FFP 025 | How Much Should Women Exercise During Pregnancy? | The Good, The Bad and the Uncomfortable | Lily Nichols
- FFP 103 | Real Food for PCOS | PCOS, Insulin Resistance & Diabetes | Managing PCOS Naturally with Diet | Balancing Blood Sugar | Lily Nichols
- FFP 126 | Does Your Diet Impact Your Breastmilk? | Eating for Two: How to Produce the Most Nutritious Breastmilk | Managing the Postpartum Period | What Breastfeeding is Really Like | Lily Nichols
- FFP 155 | The Impact of Under-Eating on Your Fertility & Your Cycles | Lily Nichols
- FFP 172 | Nourishing Fats | Why You Need Animal Fats For Fertility & Pregnancy | Sally Fallon Morell
- Fertility Awareness Reality Series Episodes | Fertility Friday
- Fertility Awareness Podcast Episodes | Fertility Friday
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by my 10 Week Fertility Awareness Mastery Group Program! Master Fertility Awareness and take a deep dive into your cycles and how they relate to your overall health! Click here for more information!