Join me for an epic interview with filmmakers Ricki Lake & Abby Epstein to discuss their latest documentary The Business of Birth Control!
From acting and producing, to dancing her way into the hearts of television audiences, Emmy Award-winning television host Ricki Lake is a pop culture icon who has built a career on her graciously candid sensibility and her authentic, relatable nature. At age 24, Lake became one of the youngest daily talk show hosts in history with the debut of The Ricki Lake Show. She has also co-written two books, released a 4 part-DVD series, and served as an Executive Producer of several documentaries.
Abby Epstein made her film directing debut at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival with the documentary, V-Day: Until the Violence Stops, featuring Jane Fonda, Salma Hayek, and Rosie Perez. . In 2007, she teamed up with Ricki Lake for their widely acclaimed documentary, The Business of Being Born, which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and was released by New Line Cinema/Netflix and broadcast on Showtime.
Sixty years after the pill revolutionized women’s emancipation, “The Business of Birth Control” examines the complex relationship between hormonal birth control and women’s health and liberation. The documentary traces the feminist movement to investigate and expose the pill’s risks alongside the racist legacy of hormonal contraception and its ongoing weaponization against communities of coluor. Weaving together the stories of bereaved parents, body literacy activists and femtech innovators, the film reveals a new generation seeking holistic and ecological alternatives to the pill while redefining the meaning of reproductive justice.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Mentorship program, Class of 2022!
Today’s episode is also sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Course. The most in-depth and comprehensive online fertility awareness self-study program available. Click here to join now!
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- How the movie, “The Business of Birth Control” came to fruition
- Ricki and Abby’s perception on birth control and the side effects before and after the film
- Thoughts from Ricki and Abby on the criticism of birth control
- Ricki and Abby’s comments on women’s side effects from birth control
- Thoughts on why doctors continue to give women birth control
- What Ricki and Abby discovered about the business of birth control
Connect with Abby and Ricki:
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 376 | Birth Control Pills From Your Doctor’s Perspective | Summer Replay Series | Dr. Miranda Naylor
- FFP 333 | The Wisdom of Menopause | Empowerment During Perimenopause and Beyond | Alexandra Pope
- FFP 314 | What You Need to Know About Choosing A Doctor | Women’s Health | Dr. Kyrin Dunston, MD
- FFP 255 | Is Questioning The Pill Anti Feminist? | Beyond The Pill | Dr. Jolene Brighten, ND
- FFP 150 | Harnessing the Power of Your Menstrual Cycle | Wild Power | Alexandra Pope & Sjanie Hugo Wurlitzer
- FFP 121 | Fertility Awareness Method | Reproductive Justice | Association of Fertility Awareness Professionals | Ilene Richman
- FFP 064 | Fertility Awareness, Feminism, and Reproductive Freedoms | Geraldine Matus
- FFP 024 | Celebrating Menstruation from Menarche | Embracing your Fertility and your Menstrual Cycle with Fertility Awareness | Jane Bennett
- FFP 021 | What Hormonal Contraceptives Really do to Women | Sweetening the Pill | Holly Grigg-Spall
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors:
This episode is sponsored by FAMM! Are you a women’s health practitioner looking for a solid way to incorporate comprehensive fertility awareness chart analysis into your practice? If yes, FAMM is the program you’ve been waiting for. Click here to apply now!