Dr Lara Owen is an author, academic and consultant focused on the ideas and practices that surround menstruation. She holds a PhD on menstrual organization from Monash Business School in Australia and has been a Research Fellow on menstrual stigma and sustainability at the University of St Andrews in the UK.
Lara’s bestselling book, Her Blood Is Gold, investigated the influence of culture on menstrual experience, and explored ways to honor the menstrual cycle. Her next book, to be published by Oxford University Press, analyzes the impact of new methods of organizing menstruation on individuals and society. She consults with a variety of organizations on menstruation in the workplace and mentors’ individuals working in menstrual education, health, and activism. In March 2022 she launched a year-long masters’ level course in Contemporary Menstrual Studies.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Course. The most in-depth and comprehensive online fertility awareness self-study program available. Click here to join now!
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- Different aspects of menstruation
- How menstruation has been stigmatized
- How the menstrual cycle has changed
- What brought Anna into studying menstruation
- Economic implication about menstruation
- The way the menstrual cycle is commodified
- How the tech industry has impacted women and their menstrual cycle
Connect with Lara Owen:
- Her Blood Is Gold
- Contemporary Menstrual Studies
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 351 | Using The Menstrual Cycle As A Vital Sign | Nora Pope
- FFP 308 | How Does Stress Impact The Menstrual Cycle? | Lisa | Fertility Friday
- FFP 239 | 6 Ways to Improve Your Menstrual Cycle in 2019 | Lisa | Fertility Friday
- FFP 173 | Reclaiming Menstruation | The Wisdom and Power of Your Menstrual Cycle | Lara Owen
- FFP 024 | Celebrating Menstruation from Menarche | Embracing your Fertility and your Menstrual Cycle with Fertility Awareness | Jane Bennett
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors:
This episode is sponsored by FAMM! Are you a women’s health practitioner looking for a solid way to incorporate comprehensive fertility awareness chart analysis into your practice? If yes, FAMM is the program you’ve been waiting for. Click here to apply now!