In today’s episode Melissa shares her experience in the FAMM program, and how it has impacted her physical therapy practice.
Dr. Melissa Thompson is a board-certified Doctor of Physical Therapy with a specialty certification in Manual Therapy, which is a tool for hands on treatment. She is also a pelvic health specialist with an advanced certification in Fertility Awareness (as a certified FAMM practitioner).
She helps women connect their menstrual cycle health to their pelvic health so they can heal pelvic pain, relieve bladder issues, and take charge of their fertility. She has established a holistic “birth center” style clinic from fertility all the way to postpartum. She starts with you as you are planning your family, and you become part of their family as you stay with the clinic through your whole journey into postpartum.
Melissa believes every person deserves a head-to-toe assessment for your pelvic and fertility concerns. Holistic health means that instead of looking at one body part, we look at the whole body to find all of the contributing factors to your problems. This creates lasting healing.
She earned her bachelor’s degree at LSU, a master’s degree in Pharmacology at LSU Health Sciences Center. From there, and her Doctorate in Physical Therapy from LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans. She currently practices in south Louisiana.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Mentorship program, class of 2023! Early-bird registration is officially open for next year’s class of 2023. Will you be joining us? Click here to register now!
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- Why someone would end up in a pelvic floor therapy office
- What the standard approach is to pelvic floor therapy
- What is a Kegel
- The benefits of visiting a pelvic PT when pregnant
- How to determine causes of pain with sex
- Why Melissa chose to bring Fertility Awareness into her practice and how it has influenced her work and clients
- The long term benefits of charting and how it is a feedback tool for Melissa’s clients
- How Melissa’s cycle has transformed since going through the FAMM program
Connect with Melissa:
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 423 | Mercier Therapy for Pelvic Pain and Infertility | Period Pain Replay Series | Dr. Jennifer Mercier, ND, PhD
- [On-Air Client Session] FFP 345 | Understanding Your Fifth Vital Sign | Lisa & Grace
- [On-Air Client Session] FFP 319 | Her Period Saved Her Life | The Fifth Vital Sign | Fertility Awareness For Birth Control | Lisa & Michelle
- FFP 315 | Clear Passage Abdominal Therapy For Pelvic Pain & Fertility | Larry & Belinda Wurn
- FFP 201 | Pelvic Floor Alchemy | Isa Herrera
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors:
This episode is sponsored by FAMM! Are you a women’s health practitioner looking for a solid way to incorporate comprehensive fertility awareness chart analysis into your practice? If yes, FAMM is the program you’ve been waiting for. Click here to apply now!