Lara is recognized internationally for her pioneering work on the menstrual cycle. She is the author of Her Blood Is Gold: Awakening to the Wisdom of Menstruation and has taught on menstruation and menopause for many years. She began her career working as a doctor of Chinese Medicine specializing in the treatment of women, later trained in psychotherapy, and now is an academic and consultant. Originally from the UK, Lara is based in Melbourne where she is doing Ph.D. research on menstruation in organizational contexts in the Department of Management at Monash University Business School.
In today’s interview, we talk about the importance of reclaiming menstruation as a powerful part of being a woman.
Today’s episode is sponsored by my 10 Week Fertility Awareness Mastery Group Program. I have designed the Fertility Awareness Mastery program to help you to master Fertility Awareness and take a deep dive into your cycles. Gain confidence charting your cycles, and gain deep insights into the connection between your health, your fertility, and your cycles. Click here for more information!
- The immense power that lies in menstruation
- The challenge of living in a culture that often requires us to suppress menstruation, or at least pretend that it’s not happening
- The challenges associated with having to look and act “like a man” in the workplace
- Why menstruation is very much the “last taboo”
- Why doctors are so quick to prescribe medication that suppresses menstruation in women
- What is reproductive labour, and what role does menstruation play in it?
- The biological (and evolutionary) importance of woman’s menstrual cycle.
- Imagining a world where all women were connected to their menstrual cycles
Connect with Lara:
- Her Blood Is Gold (book) | Lara Owen
- 10 Week Fertility Awareness Mastery group program | Fertility Friday
Related podcasts & blog posts:
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by my 10 Week Fertility Awareness Mastery Program! Master Fertility Awareness and take a deep dive into your cycles and how they relate to your overall health! Click here for more information!