Laura Schoenfeld is a Registered Dietitian who also has her Masters in Public Health Nutrition. Laura is the founder of AncestralizeMe.com and is passionate about making traditional diets healthful and accessible for all her clients. You may know Laura from the work that she’s done with Chris Kresser. Laura encourages the use of an ancestral diet to achieve optimal health and wellness. She is passionate about increasing the awareness of the benefits of high-quality fat and properly-raised animal products in the diet, as well as eliminating industrial foods like polyunsaturated vegetable oils and refined grains. She believes that the same health and nutrition principles that apply to avoiding chronic disease can be applied to supporting overall health, beauty, and fitness.
Today we talk about the importance of incorporating enough saturated fat into our diets especially when trying to restore and improve fertility after coming off oral contraceptives. We talk about Post-Birth Control Syndrome, why it can take several months to a year and beyond for a woman’s period to return after coming off the pill, and what dietary changes can help our bodies to restore our fertility sooner. Laura discusses the specific nutrients that are often depleted from the body as a result of taking the pill, and how we can work towards restoring these nutrients, especially when planning for pregnancy.
Topics discussed in this episode
- What is an ancestral diet? And how is it different to the traditional North American diet that most of us eat?
- Why saturated fat is important for fertility and hormone balance
- What is the difference between saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fat?
- How polyunsaturated fats cause inflammation in the body, and why it is better to use saturated fats for cooking
- What is Post-Birth Control Syndrome?
- How long can it take for your period to return after going off the pill?
- What are some of the key nutrients that the birth control pill depletes from our bodies?
- How can we replenish our bodies with these nutrients with food and through supplementation?
- What are some of the ways we can prepare our bodies for pregnancy with nutrition?
- Special considerations for vegetarians and vegans when coming off the pill
- What is the difference between folate and folic acid?
- Why getting nutrients from food can have a greater impact on your health, and the importance of getting high-quality supplements when supplementation is necessary
- Why you should probably consider eating liver even if you hate it!
Connect with Laura!
- Ancestralize Me | Laura Schoenfeld
- Laura Schoenfeld | Holistic Nutritionist in Raleigh NC
- Get Your Period Back: 5 Tips for Recovering from Post Birth Control Syndrome | Laura Schoenfeld
- Hate Liver? Eat it Anyways with These Tips | Laura Schoenfeld
- The Ancestral RDs Podcast | Laura Schoenfeld & Kelsey Marksteiner
- Is it Safe to Cook with Olive Oil? | Kelsey Marksteiner
- Listen to Chris Kresser’s Podcast with guest Chris Masterjohn | Cholesterol & Heart Disease
- Chris Masterjohn | The Daily Lipid
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)