Sarah E. Hill is at the forefront of groundbreaking research on the effects of the pill. A star psychologist with a PhD from the University of Texas, she studied with one of the founding fathers of evolutionary psychology, David M. Buss. In less than a decade, she’s published over 50 scientific articles and has secured half a million dollars’ worth of federal research grant money to study women, their health, and their mating and sexual psychology. She is regularly features in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Scientific American, The Economist, and many others.
In today’s episode we talk about Sarah’s groundbreaking book This Is Your Brain On Birth Control. Learn about the different ways hormonal birth control changes our brain, our emotions, and the ways we interact with others!
Today’s episode is also sponsored by Conceiving With Fertility Awareness My FREE online course designed to help you utilize fertility awareness strategies to optimize your chances of conceiving naturally. From timing sex accurately every time to identifying potential fertility issues through charting, this course has you covered. Head over to fertilityfriday.com/TTC for access.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook. The first fully customizable paper charting workbook of it’s kind, available in both Fahrenheit and Celsius editions. Click here to grab your copy today!
- Sarah’s personal experience with birth control that led her to further her research the influence of birth control on your brain
- How sex hormones work in men vs. women
- Why we need to steer away from thinking sex hormones in the brain are threatening to women or feminism
- The affects of estrogen on women across the menstrual cycle
- How our hormones impact our own behavior and influence the behavior of men around us
- How at high fertility, women have more interest in genetic compatibility of men via scent
- Why women who are on birth control do not get a surge in estrogen and therefore it impacts their partner choice
- The importance of remembering there are other factors that will impact your partner choice besides your birth control status
- Why it’s so important to be aware of the effects of birth control so if you choose to be on it, you know why you may experience changes in your body or mind
- Why you should always trust your body and not take no for an answer from your doctor whether you choose to be on or off birth control
Connect with Dr. Sarah E. Hill:
- Sarah E. Hill | Website
- This Is Your Brain On Birth Control
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize your Fertility | Audiobook | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Get The First chapter of The Fifth Vital Sign for FREE | thefifthvitalsignbook.com
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 295 | The IUD, The Pill, and Important Side Effects You Should Know About | Pill Reality Series | Katherine & Lisa
- FFP 255 | Is Questioning The Pill Anti Feminist? | Beyond The Pill | Dr. Jolene Brighten, ND
- FFP 218 | The Pill Gave Her A Stroke | Pill Reality Series | Julia & Lisa
- FFP 203 | The Pill Problem | Ross Pelton
- FFP 104 | Birth Control Pills From Your Doctor’s Perspective | Why Your Physician isn’t Looking at the Root Cause | Alternative Medicine for Women | Dr. Miranda Naylor
- FFP 021 | What Hormonal Contraceptives Really do to Women | Sweetening the Pill | Holly Grigg-Spall
- FFP 007 | What the pill really does to your hormones | PCOS & Menstrual Irregularities | Dr Lara Briden
- FFP 006 | The problem with the pill | Menstrual taboos | Groove charting app | Jennifer Aldoretta – CEO & Co-Founder of Groove
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by my new book The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility. Click here to buy now.