Dr. Lara Briden is a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in the area of hormonal health. She practices at the Sensible-Alternative Hormone Clinic in Sydney Australia. She is the founder of larabriden.com and her blog provides a wealth of information on topics including hormonal health, the birth control pill, PCOS, thyroid health, and period related health concerns. Dr. Briden studied Evolutionary Biology at the University of Calgary and went on to graduate from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM). Her love of science and the natural world has informed the way that she practices medicine. In her own words:
The body wants to be healthy. So often, the best thing that we can do for health is to remove the obstacles that get in its way. – Dr. Lara Briden
Topics discussed in this episode
- The myth that the pill balances hormones and fixes period problems
- Why Dr. Briden considers the pill to be type of chemical castration
- How the hormone levels of women who are taking hormonal birth control are similar to the hormone levels of women who are going through menopause
- Why the most common side effects of the pill may not be what you think they are
- What are some of the causes of menstrual irregularities?
- The role that insulin and insulin resistance plays in PCOS
- What is estrogen dominance and what role does it play in menstrual irregularities?
- Why detoxifying right after going off the pill may not be the best approach
- Can issues like acne, heavy periods, PCOS and other menstrual irregularities be treated naturally?
- How can women work towards improving their hormonal health naturally?
Connect with Dr. Lara Briden!
- Lara Briden’s Healthy Hormone Blog
- Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden
- Natural Treatment for Very Heavy Periods – Lara’s Blog
- Treatment for 4 types of PCOS. Treat the cause – Lara’s Blog
- Reverse Insulin Resistance in 4 Easy Steps – Lara’s Blog
- Insight into Acne. Dairy, sugar, and mTOR – Lara’s Blog
- The PMS solution: 3 steps to Hormonal Resilience – Lara’s Blog
- 9 Tips to help Hormone Balance – Wellness Mama
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by Sirc of (The Nock)