Jana always wanted to become the CEO of a charity and in 2017, Jana launched The Period Purse, now a registered Canadian charity. From outreach support and supplying free menstrual supplies to over 23,000 women and people who menstruate in 14 cities, to educating the next generation about reusable period products, to advocating for policy change, The Period Purse is a strong menstrual movement fully run by passionate volunteers. Jana has been recognized as a Top Women of Influence in 2018 and a Women of Distinction award from the YWCA Toronto in 2019. When she is not talking about periods, Jana is also a teacher who works in special education. She is a mother of two and lives with her family in Toronto.
In today’s episode we talk about period poverty and what we can do to eradicate it in our own communities!
Today’s episode is also sponsored by Conceiving With Fertility Awareness My FREE online course designed to help you utilize fertility awareness strategies to optimize your chances of conceiving naturally. From timing sex accurately every time to identifying potential fertility issues through charting, this course has you covered. Head over to fertilityfriday.com/TTC for access.
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook. The first fully customizable paper charting workbook of it’s kind, available in both Fahrenheit and Celsius editions. Click here to grab your copy today!
- What inspired Jana to start The Period Purse
- The items that are in a period purse
- How and what did shelters in Toronto provide women before The Period Purse existed
- How Toronto shelters have started budgeting for female products
- Jana’s personal movement to bring light to the lack of menstrual products available to homeless women that led to The Period Purse
- The benefits of menstrual cups and other reusable menstrual products
- Jana’s plan on getting into schools to teach the younger generation more about the menstrual cycle and the need for period products
Connect with Jana Girdauskas:
- Jana Girdauskas | The Period Purse
- Menstruation Nation
- Donate Now | The Period Purse
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Charting Workbook
- Fertility Awareness Mastery Online Self-Study Program
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize your Fertility | Audiobook | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility (Book) | Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
- Get The First chapter of The Fifth Vital Sign for FREE | thefifthvitalsignbook.com
Related podcasts & blog posts:
- FFP 296 | All About Menstrual Cups | Your Questions Answered | INTIMINATM | Lisa | Fertility Friday
- FFP 239 | 6 Ways to Improve Your Menstrual Cycle in 2019 | Lisa | Fertility Friday
- FFP 135 | Are Your Menstrual Products Toxic? | The Truth About Conventional Pads & Tampons | Managing Menstruation in Low Resource Settings | Molly Hayward
- FFP 071 | Connecting With the Wisdom of Your Menstrual Cycle | Fertility Massage Therapy | Clare Blake
- FFP 064 | Fertility Awareness, Feminism, and Reproductive Freedoms | Geraldine Matus
- FFP 014 | What does a Healthy Menstrual Cycle look like? | The Menstrual Cycle as the 5th Vital Sign | Colleen Flowers
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsors:
From timing sex accurately every time to identifying potential fertility issues through charting, this course has you covered. Head over to fertilityfriday.com/TTC for access.