Nicola is the author of the book, No Period. Now What? A book that came out of her own experience trying to conceive over an 18 month period. After receiving a diagnosis of hypothalamic amenorrhea, she took matters into her own hands doing research and using the knowledge she gained to eventually recover and bring her period back. She tried the medical route to pregnancy, with multiple doctor visits, injections, and ultrasounds but was not successful in her efforts. Ultimately, she was able to conceive naturally, and since that time Nicola has shared her knowledge of the path to recovery, helping hundreds of others achieve their dreams of pregnancy.
In this episode, Nicola helps us understand the factors that affect your periods. She discusses the impact of vigorous exercise and diet on reproductive health, and the impact that hormonal birth control can have on your menstrual cycles and your fertility. She also sheds some light on the difference between Hypothalamic Amenorrhea and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Nicola emphasizes the importance of looking at your lifestyle factors, particularly diet, exercise and stress, as you work towards bringing your periods back.
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- What inspired Nicola to write her book, No Period. Now What?
- How having an active lifestyle and engaging in sports activities can influence your menstrual cycles
- Why it’s important for women to have access to information about their reproductive health
- How to know if you have Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
- What effect do exercise, diet, and birth control pills have on your reproductive health?
- In terms of exercise, how do we know how much is too much?
- Why it’s important to pay attention to your luteal phase
- What factors can cause a woman to lose her period?
- When is the right time to focus on weight loss?
- At what point is it appropriate to cut back on exercise?
- How does hormonal contraceptive use impact your menstrual cycles?
Connect with Nicola Rinaldi
Join the community! Find us in the Fertility Friday Facebook Group
Subscribe to the Fertility Friday Podcast on iTunes!
Music Credit: Intro/Outro music Produced by J-Gantic
A Special Thank You to Our Show Sponsor | Cora Tampons
This episode is sponsored by Cora! Made from 100% organic cotton, Cora tampons were designed not only to help you manage your periods but also to preserve your health. For every month of tampons you buy, Cora gives a month of pads along with menstrual health education to a girl in need in India. Click here to receive your first month’s supply free of charge.
*Please note that Cora only ships within the United States.
Fertility Friday | Fertility Management Masterclass
This episode is sponsored by my Fertility Management Masterclass! Gain clarity and confidence using the Fertility Awareness Method and improve your cycle health at the same time! Click here for more information!